jeudi 20 août 2020

Where to live in the Adirondacks, or surrounding areas?

After living in the Adirondacks for a year in my younger years, I've always wanted to move back. At that time I lived near Saranac Lake and always assumed I would go back to that area if I had a chance to move back. I like the location relative to recreational activities coupled with the convenience of the town - the hospital is a big deal, and will be even more so as I get older. I don't really want to live in town, but would entertain the idea if it were my only option.

I've done a lot of research over the years trying to see what would work in other areas, and if I would like it as much. I'm sure I could find something enjoyable anywhere I lived, but given a choice, I have many preferable options.

Top for me has been:

Proximity to a town I like i.e. I don't really like Rome/Utica so the south western Adirondacks aren't for me. I also don't like Watertown much, and even the closest parts of the park there are far away. So I've never really seriously considered moving to the western parts.

Accessibility to things I want to regularly do:

Good hiking, biking and paddling are top on my list, and although those kind of things can be done anywhere in the Adirondacks, I have found there are areas I definitely prefer more and have more options.

Affordability:

Living on a lake or having a vast estate with sweeping views is probably out of the question for me. I don't foresee myself being able to invest more than $200-250k into a home and land.

By the time I make this move, I hope to be retired, or semi-retired and able to work remotely so job market isn't so important to me.

What things would you consider? Where would you consider? What would you be willing to give up?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire