vendredi 7 août 2020

Theft at Inlet

This is a sad post, but I wanted to make everyone aware. My wife and I parked our car at Inlet the morning of July 27th to spend a few days kayaking on Cranberry Lake and return via the Oswagatchie River. We returned to our car in the afternoon on July 30th to find our kayak carriers gone from the roof of our car. They were Malone Auto-loader XV J-style carriers (which I was very fond of).

That model does not offer a lock, but rather has plastic wingnuts that clamp the carriers to the roof bars so they are removable without tools. I didn't even think about it at the time, but had I known that theft was a risk, I would have taken them off and stored them inside the car. Lesson learned, I guess. I have been watching Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist to see if they get posted. I made some modifications to allow them to better fit the roof bars, so I could identify them pretty easily.

It pains me to no end that this happened. It's not the fact that I had to replace the carriers, but rather it's knowing there are people in this world who would do this. What did the thief think we would do when we got back to our car with no way to get our boats home?

After talking with the shop owner at Otto's Abode in Wanakena, he graciously helped me find a set of replacement racks. I had no cell service, so he let me hook into his WiFi and use his phone to call around. I drove out to Raquette River Outfitters to get two sets of Yakima kayak carriers ($420 -- oof) while my wife waited in Wanakena with our boats.

So if you are parking in at Inlet, please make sure everything is secured before you leave for a few days!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire