dimanche 25 mai 2014

Dojo loyalty vs Branching out

I apologize in advance, this post may end up a little long winded. I just wanna do the situation justice; it's complicated.



This last semester I took a break from martial arts, for personal reasons. It was actually really good for me, and I'm glad I did. But now I'm home from university for the summer and I was thinking about picking up martial arts again. I've always wanted to do BJJ, and there are 2 places super close to my house.



The problem is, now that I'm back home I kinda feel like going somewhere else would be betraying the dojo I attended all through middle and high school. Just to be clear, this is not an attitude they instilled in me. My home dojo has always felt just like that, home.



But it's a little more complicated than that. Both of these BJJ places near me are fairly new. When they both moved in the area around two years ago, the competition put a lot of strain on my dojo. The kids' classes are fine, but the adult class has really diminished in the last year and a half. The dwindling class size is one of the main reasons I feel like branching out and trying somewhere new. But then that makes me part of the problem :bang:



TL;DR I'm not sure if, while home for the summer, I should go back my "home dojo" (where I trained before I left for university), or branch out and try a new place.



Thanks guys for the help :P




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire