samedi 31 mai 2014

My first fight! (with video!)

Today I finally got to have my first amateur mma bout. And I won! Obviously that means uploading a video for map to enjoy but I liked reading Chadderz's thoughts on his so figured I'd do that too



The giant thing for this fight is how it went down: My striking is godawful. In sparring I am the guy who covers up, backs up a lot, and doesn't throw. I could probably count the number of punches I've landed in sparring in my entire training career on my hands. My last interclub video upload was me getting basically knocked out for instance :p



So gameplan wise the idea for this fight was to weather the initial minute swarm and try my best not to get knocked out, grab the guy and immediately get him to the ground where I was a lot stronger and tap the guy out. That basically didn't happen. Instead, I outstriked the guy very clearly (I've heard the reaction from my coach during my initial swarm was "where the hell did that guy come from?") and on the ground I couldn't really get much going. The guy had very good hip posture and my go to sweep using butterflies didn't work at all. I pulled guard a lot through fear of eating knees in the clinch so I actually was sure I'd lost the last two round because I was on my back.



I did however lock up a triangle armbar at the very final few seconds of the fight. Unfortunately it was only 2 minute rounds and I didn't have the time to finish it.



So that was awesome. People who have me on facebook, and generally some others on map, will be aware that fighting in mma has been a life dream of mine for a while and, for various personal reasons, this fight had a lot of emotional baggage with it.



I loved it. I shocked myself with my performance and my coaches and team mates seem proud of me so I'm very happy. I've sprained my foot badly landing a kick so it looks like a couple weeks of rest but then it'll be straight back in the gym and training for the next one :)



So enjoy the video! Sorry its not great. Parents made the best with what they had. Also enjoy listening to them :p









Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire