dimanche 24 août 2014

Spotted Carp

Even though it's been cool all month the ponds are still not cool enough for brookies yet. I'm antsy to fish, though. And work has been eating me alive. So last night I refreshed my memory by reading through notes and came across something I'd written down some years ago. There's a pond not too distant from me, not too far of a hike, perfect for a day out and a bit of an experiment.



I went spotted carp fishing. They are indeed a worthy quarry, if not as pretty as brookies. And this pond is perfect for them, being over-run with invasive minnows with no hope of a Rotenone reclamation.



The surface temp was 66, safe for this species. I tied on a gold/silver minnow imitation and the first strike came withing the first 5 minutes. Missed it. Then another close behind. This one connected. I photographed the first and second fish but released the others without taking them from the water. I fished until noon, when the place shut down. Not surprising, considering the clear blue sky. All in all a grand day out for the middle of August!




Attached Images





















File Type: jpg br1.jpg (117.3 KB)
File Type: jpg br2.jpg (157 Bytes)
File Type: jpg br3.jpg (101.1 KB)
File Type: jpg br4.jpg (73.7 KB)
File Type: jpg br5.jpg (123.7 KB)






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire