lundi 20 octobre 2014

19 Male - Which martial art/school should I choose?

Hello! I'm a 19 year old male, and I'm looking at training for self defense and fitness. I don't know if I'd particularly like competitions for this, unless it was after I felt competent.



I'm currently 5 10' and 140 pounds. I feel healthy (my family engrained healthy eating into me), but I'd like to feel fit too. My weight is a little too low for me, and although I have a membership at a gym it's hard to find the motivation to go. I think it's because I'm not going for any specific goals, it's just "going to the gym to stay healthy". Plus I'm in university and work. With a martial art I can work towards mastering techniques, and I think it would be a better experience for me.



That being said, I found a couple of schools I was interested in. I'm not sure which MA takes the most time to progress in (I understand something like this will be a commitment, but since I'm a beginner I figure I'm more likely to stick to something that makes me feel like I'm progressing fast).



I did take karate when I was age 7-11 or so. I liked it for a while, but I think I felt like I was progressing slowly. The katas and tournaments got annoying to me too, I think, because my dad said I started to hate it and quit right when I could. But I was young. I would prefer to choose something without katas though, it was nice and I like learning about history, but I'm more concerned with self-defense.



Lastly, I have a few female friends in karate and taekwondo, but no one I know has tried anything else. Every guy I know hasn't ever tried any MAs. My mom was in taekwondo for a few months and loved it, but hurt herself badly doing some high kick and has to wear a brace on her knee on occasion now, years later. I don't think she'd approve of me starting taekwondo.



There's a lot of martial arts places around here, and there's 3 or 4 within 5 minutes from me. I'd like a short drive, it would probably help me go more often. :)



EDIT: By the way, I'd like opinions for hapdiko, Judo, BJJ, karate and taekwondo.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire