mercredi 22 octobre 2014

When do you step in?

Bit of context required here before my questions. Well last night one of the guys on my unit was having a leaving do so after a few drinkies me and 3 guys I work with were at the kebab van on base (yup we have our own kebab van :) ).



4 lads from another base near by happened to start a little argument with my mates (pretty sure it was about who's hellicopter was better-clearly a touchy issue for some folks) so I stepped inbetween the 2 groups told my guys to calm down and sent the other group to their block. One of my lads then starts gobbing off (normally the quietest guy around weirdly) at the other lads as they were walking away so they come back.



Bit of posturing and one guy went for my mate and wrestled him to the ground. I stepped in again and pulled that lad off meanwhile the other 3 are also scrapping with the remaining 2 lads from my unit. Again I stepped inbetween them all pushed the groups apart told my lads to shut up and back down and told the other guys to fornicate away (not the words I used, TOS) to their beds.



Coppers turned up took statements etc from me, the 3 guys I work with, the kebab man and a rather worried looking couple who just wanted some chips. The other group had left so no statements from them but I told the cops where they were staying. Luckily the witnesses backed up exactly what I had said so cops were happy and that was the end of the whole thing.



Being over 6 foot and 15 stone (lean) and relative to the others at least fairly sober, being an ex doorman and having a vague clue how to fight I didn't think it was fair for me to actually get violent. Afterwards I was thinking about the incident and couldn't work out when i would have felt I needed to actually fight.



Question 1; At what point is it/would it have been acceptable to get violent? Is it a simple 'when you feel you have to' or is there an acceptable point when it becomes acceptable (note I have not said 'legal' as that is a different question).



Question 2; why don't people just hit eachother and be done with it? Why this whole bravado thing of not backing down and not realy fighting either just like hugging another bloke and falling over whilst shouting? If anyone wanted to prove anything I'm pretty sure they failed.



Any insights would be greatly appreciated, cheers folks.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire