samedi 29 novembre 2014

Coming Home

In August, it will be ten long years since I was home last. Ten years is too long. I am planning to come back to New York, take the Adirondack Scenic Railroad from Thendara to Big Moose, then ride my fat-bike from Big Moose to Stillwater, then from Stillwater to Inlet by way of Carter Station and Rondaxe Road, past Woodcraft where I went to summer camp as a 10 and 11 year-old. The second half of the trip will be from Inlet to Indian Lake via the Moose River Plains. Have to get a non-resident fishing license and catch some trout. (The Moose is where I learned to fish, 50 years ago.) Right now I have three friends from my old NY SAR team and the National Mtn. Bike Patrol riding with me, plus maybe my cousin in Rochester's husband and son. Looking to be a four-day trip, more or less.



I have been debating whether to bring my 29er Volcanic MTB or my fat-bike (Currently a Surly Pugsley, by then it should hopefully be a Cogburn CB4) The first weekend of September one of my friends who is a veteran bicycle tour leader, suggested that I take my Surly Pugsley fat-bike on my planned bikepacking trip instead of my mountain bike. I did, and it changed everything. With the exception of several events that took place between then and now, I have scarcely been off the Pugs when riding. I have done a number of fall colors rides, explored some cool trails in a nearby state forest and have even done some volunteer trail patrol with a bike that I had previously relegated solely to winter use. The fat-bike, in it's 60-plus brand names, is changing the face of backcountry travel, and like many others I have been swept up in their success. The fat-bike takes me back to when I first started riding a bike as a kid, and experience the sheer joy of riding again.







See you on the gravel roads!

Hans




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire