vendredi 28 novembre 2014

Situational Intervention / Averted Road Rage

I'm not really sure whether this belongs here, it could be classified as more of an "odd event" than an instance of self defence, but here goes:



I was at work today, on the phone and looking out of the window, and a guy (maybe 75+) on a mobility scooter was riding along the road, turning towards the pavement to bump up it at the same point as an access to a car park. Instead of bumping up the kerb, he scrapes along it and starts to off balance. I quickly ended my phone call and went out to help him, suspecting that he had fallen off.

Thankfully, he hadn't fallen off, and was next to his scooter picking up some broken off part.

Also at this time (as I was crossing the road), another guy (maybe in his 50s) in a 4x4 was trying to pull out of the car park (broken scooter old man was in the way), and was beeping his horn, revving his car so it was lurching towards the old guy, and gesturing and shouting.

Seemed unnecessary.

Anyway, thinking that 'this is not something I can allow to continue', I told the scooter guy not to worry and went around to the side of the 4x4, knocked on the window with a friendly smile on my face. As the window was rolled down, the crimson 4x4 guy's face turns towards me and before he can say anything I say (sincerely) "hi mate, can you give us a hand, his scooter's bust?"

This is the strangest part: 4x4 guy instantly switches from heart-attack-inducing levels of rage directly to "oh yeah, no problem", turns off the engine and gets out to help!

Anyway, we fix the scooter (push the rubber tyre back over the rim) make sure scooter guy is ok, congratulate and thank each other and all get in with our day.



The thing that struck me as being really surprising was the 4x4 guy's instant switch of focus from ultra road rage whilst in the sealed shell of his vehicle ("how dare anyone delay ME?") to concerned citizen in a single heartbeat. Must have been my ugly mush, heavy eye brows, beard, metal t-shirt, charming smile and sincere desire to help...



I suppose it was 'self defence' in that I stood up for my beliefs, and defused a potential road rage conflict. It might have been none of my business, in sine people's eyes, and there may have been a small risk of the 4x4 guy turning his rage on me, and yes a vehicle can be a lethal weapon, but I would still rather help out the old dude who was getting grief for almost falling off his scooter.



There were other people in the street and on the pavement, but no one else joined in, about 7 people walked past as I was crossing the road and taking to 4x4 guy.



Anyway, has anyone else experienced (or induced!) a similar rapid switch of focus that averted a potential physical conflict?

Would anyone have done differently and, if so, what and why?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire