vendredi 30 décembre 2016

Looking For Short, Scenic Hikes For Day Trip

Hey there everyone! First post here. I'm Brett from Attica, NY. I'm 45 years old and I'm seriously considering a move to the Adirondack region. To start with I'm going to pack up the camper and head to the region in the spring for an extended stay. And to begin preparing for that trip I'm going to start with a one day recon mission to take a look around.

So what I'd like to do is a one day scenic drive with a little hiking/sightseeing along the way. The way I figure it I'm going to leave Attica about 3:30 a.m., hit the Southwest corner of the Adirondacks about sunrise, and drive a gigantic loop up routes 28 and 30 to Lake Placid and then route 73 to I-87 to route 8 and back home. I have a picture of the route here but I'm not sure if I can post a link my first post:

http://ift.tt/2iktnvM

This is a link to the Google Maps version of the route:

http://ift.tt/2ioEB4T

So what I'm hoping for is some ideas for a couple of quick hikes along the way. I'm an avid hiker/beginning climber with excellent gear. I'm in great shape and I'll be well prepared, including crampons and some basic climbing gear, cuz who ever knows?

I estimate I'll have about 6 hours to spare to do any sort of hiking along my route. Six hours would leave me exiting the Adirondacks as the sun goes down and the rest of my boring drive will be at night. Perfect.

So if you had 6 hours to spare along that route and you wanted to do a little hiking to see some incredible scenery where would you go? It could be one long hike but I think I'd prefer two or even three shorter hikes. There's just so much to take in I'd like a glimpse of a few different spots I think.

I must say that I'm rather infatuated with deep canyons and big waterfalls. If you were to steer me in that direction I'd almost certainly be thrilled.

And for fun my buddy Odin, a powerful and highly driven 110 pound German Shepherd, is always with me when I go hiking. He even has his own climbing harness and we practice some short climbs and rappels using the ropes on steep terrain. He'd rather just scope the forest for squirrels which is what he does most of the time, but hey, he has to learn the basics of getting through severe terrain in case we ever need to someday. Cuz who ever knows?

So thanks in advance for taking the time to give me a few suggestions for quick day hikes along my route. This is the opening mission in what I expect will become a huge adventure for me.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire