samedi 16 août 2014

Well, that didn't go so well.....

So, the way my school is set up is that we have a personal instructor. We get private lessons each week from that instructor and s/he guides our progress and mostly decides when we test.



But at advanced levels, our instructor will have our Sifu have an observation of our stuff. So that he can help assess where we are at in our training and to -ideally- give extra advanced details and corrections.



I have only had a few observations over the years. My instructor is one of the most advanced at the school, so she doesn't call in Sifu as often as some other instructors. But I am preparing for my Black Fringe in Tai Chi Chuan. I will be her first Tai Chi Black Fringe (she has lots of CLF black sashes). So, I am in the midst of a whole bunch of observations.



In the past, my few observatons have gone very well, but not last night. Sifu was observing my long Gim form (54). He kept giving me corrections that she has given me and I should have fixed by now. Sigh. I felt like I let her down.



So, we had a talk afterwards and I have decided I need to focus on my Tai Chi right now. So I am cutting my CLF practice down to a bare minimum the next couple of months to really focus the vast majority of my training time on my TCC. I will still spar, stick fight, do two person sets to meet my commitments with my partners, but pretty much drop everything else. I will take my CLF lesson and have extra private lesson time for TCC.



I was really trying to keep up on both, but the curriculum for black in both is just too much! (My next tests in both are for black.) Both are extensive and I have to accept that to truly exel in my test, I need to devote most of my training time to it. Black fringe tests are the last TCC test we have. Most of our tests are done by our Sifu, but this one is in front of our Sifu, the head of our schools, AND our Grand Master (Doc Fai Wong) who comes from out of town twice a year for advanced level tests in both CLF and TCC,



I know people here are big on cross training. And I think doing both CLF and TCC usually helps my overall development. But there are times one needs to focus on one art. Isn't there? Like for advanced testing?



I feel both disappointed in myself and relieved at the same time. I am feeling rather emotional over the whole thing. Just needing to share with people who might understand the significance of making training decisions that are hard............




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire