mercredi 24 août 2016

Upper Works on Labor Day weekend

Greetings :) I'm a (rather) longtime lurker but first time posting. I am hoping to park at upper works to hike mount skylight the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. I know this is a super popular hiking weekend, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on how quickly the upper works lot would fill up on a Saturday. I'm coming from Buffalo and would arrive around 1-2pm. Plan is to backpack in to the flowed lands and camp overnight, then summit on Sunday. Is it plausible that there would be available parking in the lot? This is a 7-day trip for me, so I can rearrange my plans to do this on one of the weekdays following the holiday (Tuesday-Thursday). Second, is it generally safe to ditch the pack at the leanto? There are a lot of things I'd prefer to not carry up the mountain (bear canister, tent, mess kit, sleeping bag, etc). I'd like to put the essentials (map, compass,
Trekking poles, water filter, bottle, bug spray, snacks) in my light day pack for that part of the hike. I guess I'm just wary and hope this is safe to do. I'll be solo and have no one else to rely on. I am an intermediate backpacker and have hiked solo/done overnights before, but do not consider myself expert level. Any input and experience/advice is greatly appreciated :)

PS: Will any forum members be in this area for the holiday weekend?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire