lundi 5 décembre 2016

some help with a 2 handed rod

last year I built a 10' czech nymph rod from hook hack, but when i ordered the blank, they accidently sent me their 10'6" switch rod blank instead. the company gave me the option of keeping it for an incredible price so i am in the process of building it now.

I dont have a ton of experience with 2 handed rods, and have learned what I need to learn in regards to the line, but the reel is where I am having an issue.

what sort of specs are important when choosing a reel? I had some conversations with some fly shop owners in the pulaski area this past weekend but it didn't help much. first of all, hook hack says that their 400 grain line is perfect for this rod, but they no longer sell it which sucks.

I was also told that you have to purchase a much bigger reel with bigger capacity so that you can fit all of the line as the line is much bigger than a single handed rod. I kind of knew that but didnt know that you had to buy a heavier weight reel that doesnt match up with the weight of your rod. They also said that I have to make sure that i consider the amount of backing, weight of the line and the weight of the reel to balance the rod properly.

ok, that is all great, but is it just a big crapshoot? how am i supposed to know if a reel can hold all of the line if the specs dont line up? if i am buying say a 10wt. reel for an 8 weight rod, am i just hoping that it has the proper capacity? am i also just hoping that it balances the rod?

I'm doing the research and will figure it out eventually im sure, but hopefully some of you guys have a little more experience


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire