lundi 2 septembre 2019

Tips on how to stay dry making and breaking camp when it rains while backpacking?

Tips on how to stay dry making and breaking camp when it rains while backpacking?

I just got back from a 2 day and a 4 day backpacking trip in Banff with my wife...and the weather forecast for the entire week was fantastic, but on the very last night all hell broke loose before arriving at the backcountry campground, and it continued to pour. The campground we were supposed to stay at was near a little shelter - the "Halfway Hut" in the Skoki area...it's a PERFECT little shelter but you aren't supposed to camp there. It was late and we weren't going to damage anything so I decided to throw down a tarp and throw our pads and sleeping bags down and just get up early enough so that we would be out of the way once other backpackers started to pass through in the morning.

I have been backpacking for many years but I only get to go once or twice a year...so there are still many "tricks of the trade" I can learn.

What if there is no choice but to set up or break down, in a puddle, in the pouring rain? What are some tricks you guys do to minimize / limit getting wet, especially getting vital things wet?

I love backpacking, but I wouldn't want a storm or storms, especially early in the trip, ruining the trip and setting a bad tone for the remainder of the trip. How do you stay dry?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire