jeudi 1 mai 2014

Third Time's a Charm

Today's my birthday. 63. Still in good shape but it's an age where you wonder how many more pond seasons you have in you. So of course I took the day off and went fishing.



I hiked in to a pond UpstateDave and I fished recently. It just seemed the sort of place that could have treated us better. The day was perfect, the kind where people at work will scratch their heads wondering why I took this of all days off.



The pond was still and fogged in, rain stopped falling just as I got there. I tied on a purple leech and a small nymph as a dropper. It only took three casts to bring a solid, feisty 13" fish to the net.



I fished around the shelves bordering a deep hole and had steady action for hours. All the fish were pretty and chunky, 15" or so but not the brookies I was looking for.



Using shameless skullduggery I located another hole. This was late in the day, near quitting time. A big fish rose near the edge, leaving a toilet flush ring. A quick few strokes with the fins put me in casting range. Strip, strip, WHAM! This one had some moxie, could strip off line at will and horse me around. The hook pulled free. Several casts later his brother did the same thing.



The phone rang. It was Glen. First call ever answered in a float tube. "Clip off the second fly, Grasshopper", he instructed. I did. Several casts later and a real beauty was in the net. This will bloat Glen's ego to the point he won't be able to get in his front door.



Really quitting time, I'd promised to be home for dinner. Another solid take and we're off to the races again. Another good fish in the net.



Time to pack up and leave, just as it was gettin' good. Ah, well. There will be others and now I know a few more secrets about this pond.




Attached Images

























File Type: jpg M1.jpg (104.0 KB)
File Type: jpg M2.jpg (132.4 KB)
File Type: jpg M3.jpg (111.3 KB)
File Type: jpg M4.jpg (113.7 KB)
File Type: jpg M5.jpg (98.9 KB)
File Type: jpg M6.jpg (131.6 KB)






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire