mercredi 20 août 2014

Basic advice needed please

I am taking the family to a cabin on Rainbow Lake next week. My 13 year old nephew is accompanying us for the first time. We don’t get to see much of him at all, and he has no one to but me to show him the outdoors. He is crazy to catch some fish. I have him practicing casting in his back yard, but he is a total rookie, so his casting into cover, at least at first, is out of the question.



I’ve done a fair bit of saltwater fishing, but little freshwater. I’ve caught LMB at Lowes Lake on spinnerbaits. I’ve caught small trout in mountain streams. All with spinning rigs. We will be canoeing in various waterbodies around Rainbow Lake, north of Saranac Lake.



We have two spinning rigs, his has 8 lb test, mine 12. We have a hook remover, lip grabber, line nipper, net, and various basic lures that I have accumulated over the years. I now have my out-of-state license. I don’t want a fish/ depth finder, but would consider getting one if that is what it takes to give this kid a good taste of catching some fish. I would like to land my first pike.



As a practical matter, we will mostly be fishing off and on 10-5. I might get him up with the sun one morning if I have a good hope of catching something.



Any basic technique advice for this area and time on catching fish, any fish, would be much appreciated.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire