dimanche 2 novembre 2014

Some Help getting back into shape

Hello. I decided to create this thread because my recent comeback ot martial arts made me realize just how far gone my shape is. First, a bit of background.



I used to be a fencer and trained everyday for 3 hours. This went on for several years and I was in an amazing shape. After giving up on fencing because I wanted a life, I returned to Shotokan karate and did that for 4 years.



Due to several reasons, I have done little to no exercise (other than the occasional jog) for the past 4 years. The end result was 15Kg overweight (still managed to do 5x2 pullups ^^)!



So, now I began martial arts again and Judo especially is quite taxing (making me realize just how out of shape I am). As such, I am looking to shave off the extra Kilos and gain more stamina so that I can take full advantage of the training.



Other than the martial art training I am jogging 5 miles at least once a week and doing a 7 min workout I found on youtube to start to get back into shape. The workout is as follows:



30 sec pushups

30 sec lower situps (raising your legs)

30 sec squats

30 sec raised knees jogging

x3



Now this already had some effect but I was thinking of ways to increase this workout working especially on my core. I really like the workout Judo gives me and was wondering if there are ways to do a similar one at home. For now I thought about adding 1 min plank and 3x30 secs of doing ladders (I think this is the correct name. When you put yourself in a plank like position and bring alternate knees to the chest).

I am also reading into kettle bells and other assists.

Ideally I would like to have a 20 min routine that would help me getting back into shape (though I harbour no dreams of having a lower than 8% fat percentage in the near future) and that isn't so painful that makes me want to procrastinate.



Now, something for consideration:

After this week's worth of practice, I noticed some pain in my knees. This pain I believe, comes from a bike fall I had over a year ago. At the time I thought it was just soreness but the pain came back some time afterwards when I was jogging everyday (causing me to stop) and it would come occasionally when I made too much of an effort on my knees. It came again at the end of this week's training (after a long period gone) but the good news is it hurt way less this time and after a couple of days resting it feels brand new.



I suspect this has to do with regularly doing squats so the extra muscle reinforcement seems to be paying off. I will see a GP on Friday anyway as I fear it might be a torn meniscus.



Any input would be greatly appreciated.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire