vendredi 20 février 2015

Hiking/Camping along Powley-Piseco Rd.

Well it's that time of year again, when I turn up the heat and stare longingly at Adirondack maps and dream of hiking and paddling trips in warmer weather. Looking at the nat.geo map #744 (northville/raquette lake) I realized that over the years I have largely neglected the southern Adirondacks, and thought I might try to rectify that on my first trip north this year.



I am considering a couple of different options- the one I am looking for information for is to road camp somewhere along Powley-Piseco Rd. and explore a few of the hikes there and maybe the quiet water section of east canada creek. Does anyone have information about the number of campsites and frequency of use, as well as when the road opens? I am planning a late spring trip, either late April or early May depending on weather conditions. I know many of the forest roads don't open until mid to late may; my thought was that maybe Powley-Piseco, being farther south, might open a bit earlier. I will likely go early to mid week; what are my chances of finding an open site?



As to hikes- any I shouldn't miss? I am looking at the Sand Lake, Big Alderbed, Goldmine Stream, and Clockmill Pond trails. And as for Sand Lake, has anyone carried a canoe or kayak in there? The trail description in my guidebook makes it seem as though getting a boat in there is feasable. Is the lake itself worth the effort?



Thanks in advance for any information shared.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire