vendredi 18 novembre 2016

The Saddles State Forest (Whitehall, NY)

11/18/2016

I have been itching to check out the Saddles on the east side of South Bay (near Whitehall) ever since the State acquired the land around them a couple years ago. The problem has been access since it is surrounded by private property or private roads. Recently, I found out the state created an access road from NY Route 22. The gravel road starts just south of the Champlain Beef and climbs steeply up to a small parking area. I headed off - first following a blue marked path for about 1.2 miles. At the intersection of a white marked trail, I turned left. Lost the path for a short bit where it crossed a jeep trail. I quickly found it again on the final climb to the North Saddle. There were great views from ledges along its south face. I continued on the white trail for a short distance down the ridge before returning to the jeep trail which I followed over to Clear Pond. I took another jeep trail which lead most of the way up the South Saddle (before dropping back down the other side). I left the trail, and explored some ledges along the South Saddle before returning. Had a fun day exploring this new area.

some pictures


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire