jeudi 22 janvier 2015

An Early Cheryl Strayed

If you liked "Wild", I can recommend "Grandma Gatewood's Walk", a book about Emma Gatewood who thru-hiked the entire A-T in 1955 at the age of 67. She only carried a drawstring sack that was slung on one shoulder. She repeated her thru-hike two years later. The book also mentions that in 1958 at the age of 70 she came to the Adirondacks and climbed six of the high peaks - no mention o which ones and no mention that she also hiked the N-P Trail.



This I am sure of because the mention of the Adirondacks triggered a memory of one of my father's stories. When he led groups to the Sewards and Santanonis in the late 50s, he would usually camp at Cold River lean-tos on the N-P Trail for two or three nights. He once described this old woman who was hiking the trail with just a bag over one shoulder and living on berries she picked along the way. He reported that she had also hiked the Appalachian Trail. I can't help but believe this was indeed Grandma Gatewood that he encountered.



I should perhaps have posted this on the N-P page, but I figured more people would see it here, and I am wondering if anyone has any additional information about her hike on the N-P Trail.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire