dimanche 25 janvier 2015

Low seat in a high seat solo?

I built a Wee Lassie II last year and had a great time paddling it, but there were some things about it that were not ideally suited to my height. I found that I had to sit directly on the bottom of the canoe rather than on a seat in order to have good stability in waves, and my feet were squashed together by the V shape of the hull which was quite acute where my feet ended up. This meant that I had to get out of the canoe at least every half hour or my legs would go to sleep. I am planning to build another canoe this spring and currently am thinking of the Osprey design by John Winters. It seems to be fairly well regarded in most online discussions I have seen and it is identical below the waterline to the Kite that Stripperguy built last year if I understand correctly. What I am wondering about is whether there is any difference in hull design between a solo designed for single or double paddle. I would like to use a double paddle and make a seat about 3" off the bottom of the canoe instead of the usual high seat since this should place my head at roughly the right height for a normal person. I found a video featuring Charlie Wilson, Industry Canoe Expert, which included the Swift Osprey being paddled with a double and with the seat set down to a low position, but I am not sure if the lines of the Swift Osprey are the same as the strip Osprey plans I am seeing for sale or if that matters. I know that single paddle is the proper way to paddle a solo, but I have not evolved quite to that level yet. If anyone has any advice about all of this I will be very grateful to hear it.

Zach




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire