jeudi 27 octobre 2016

The importance of actually hitting students

Noticed this forum has been pretty slow so figured I would start a thread in hopes of getting some interesting debate/chatter going.

I think that the importance of actually getting hit with a stick when practicing has been seriously neglected within FMA in the U.S. One of the first 'drills' I teach my students requires them to hit each other and be hit on the wrist. I usually take every student aside and have them hit me and then I hit them. Of course I am not hitting anywhere near close to 100% but the idea is to make contact. In my opinion this offers several benefits.

1. Students learn that a thin rattan stick will break before you do.
2. Students get accustomed to actually hitting real targets.
3. Students learn the value of timing and rhythm. If you try to out-quick your partner you will most likely get hit a lot harder. So it behooves students to focus on timing and distance.
4. Your body begins to acclimate and toughen itself. Remember that first week of BJJ? Bruises and soreness in all the wrong places that eventual went away? FMA is the same.

Despite all of these benefits, I rarely see people actually making contact (stick to body) in the FMA videos online. What is your opinion on this?

Also, I should add that as an instructor it should be your job to get hit hard and still maintain the proper control. I never mind when a student hits me and very much encourage it.They need to get over their fear of actually hitting someone. Then next comes over coming the fear of getting hit.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire