lundi 1 mai 2017

Another Pharaoh Lakes Report.



On my first day in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness I hiked in on the Long Swing Trail (4.8 miles) and set up in the Oxshoe LT. After some map study I decided to bushwhack from Crab Pond along the SW base of Treadway Mtn. To the Giant's Dishbowl and take it from there. This was a real treat. For about a mile I walked under towering exposed cliffs. I had excellent footing for the most part and at times was even rubbing shoulders with the cliffs. At the Dishbowl I was at the SE end of Treadway and I made a 90 turn to the NW and headed up gentle slopes. The land was flat rocky, the woods open pines and I enjoyed a relaxed stroll above the cliffs going in the opposite direction to the summit. Stunning views of the snow-clad High Peaks!

From the top I bushwhacked directly back to Crab Pond and took the trail 1 mile to my lean-to. I “cut 'n' carried” my wood supply and met my neighbors who were camped nearby.

On day 2 I decided to explore Bear and Potter mountains and began the whack 5 after minutes walking down the trail towards Crab Pond. After crossing the stream into Crane Pond I headed up the exposed ridge that overlooks the pond. It had all burnt recently and the scorch marks continued right to the summit. I feasted visually on expansive and stunning open rock views, especially of Pyramid Lake 600 feet straight down. From Bear I made my way over to Potter Mtn. and was treated to yet more vast expanses of open rock with dynamite views. I had planned on walking home via the Short Swing Trail but it was fairly early and Pine Hill looked interesting. I decided to head up it so after a 20 minute trail walk I found myself on steep terrain getting views back to the cliffs of Potter, one mile distant.

The walk off Pine Hill was, once again along huge slabs of flat rock with widely spaced Pines. The highly inviting channels of rock went off in all directions and I checked the compass often to keep me on track. By heading west I was lined up to run into Oxshoe Pond. When I got to it I enjoyed a peacefull stroll on a tiny game/people trail around it back to camp. There then ensued a wild party at the lean-to with my great neighbors (who let me take a Hornbeck for a spin) and a 4th camper. I turned in before the party was over and continued the conversation from my bag.

On day 3 (temps near freezing) I rose at 6 and after organizing my stuff for the hike out I left it there and made a round-trip up Pharaoh Peak, which I had been using as a landmark during my previous wanderings. When I returned to the lean-to it began hailing and raining and it rained increasingly all the way out to the trail-head on Rte 74.

This region was a fantastic discovery for me and now I have to convince my bushwhacking friends to come back with me.

Pictures


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire