mercredi 3 mai 2017

Cranberry lake 50

Completed my thru of the cranberry Lake 50 today, started Sunday April 31 at 12:50pm and ended Wednesday, May 3rd at 2:45 pm. Completed my hike in three nights four days starting at the Gilbert tract trail head/East connector trail. Staying for the night at Curtis pond, cow horn pond lean-to and the lean-to near the Ranger school on loop three of the Peavine Swamp Trail , then following the west connector trail back to route three on the shorter Road walk back to my car .
Let me start by saying it rained quite a bit during my trip( luckily mostly at night ) and as one would expect it wasn't the greatest weather . It came at No surprise but the majority of the trail was pretty wet, with stream overflows/overflowing Beaver dams and ponds and no shortage of mud/puddles to hike through . The worst offenders of wet feet where the sections of cow horn junction and the high Falls Trail (The cranberry Lake 50 portion of it of course). My third day started with me leaving cowhorn pond lean-to and traveling to the lean-to near the Ranger school and with no exaggeration my feet were well on their way to being soaked with in the 1st mile or 2. There were multiple sections where there was no other option than to just plow through about a foot or so of water , not that I'm complaining because I expected it but just to inform anyone else who might be curious.

Other than a few sections of Trail the majority of it was relatively mild and "flat"
Even though these "flat" sections Often amounted to inches of collected water. I saw at least 10 different Bear scats along the trail with the most concentrated being on the trail from High falls to wannakena. No Bear sightings just plenty of poop.

I'm not sure if it was my general timing or what but it seems like this time of year it is an off time for the mountain towns and surrounding trails. ( after my hike I ended up staying the night in Lake Placid and was chatting with a few locals at the bar who confirmed this ) although people explore the Adirondacks at all times of year... from the conversations I had sounds like winter and summer are very busy with less people around in the early spring( The trail registries and lean-to journals also seemed to confirm this ) But you won't hear any complaints from me except that ottos abode and the pine cone bar and Grill were closed, where I was hoping to stop in and get a refreshment and also conversate with a few people . Other than running into a few people on the first few miles of my hike and a nice gentleman that waved hello on my way through wannakena I saw nobody, complete solitude .

At least this time of year it is well Advised to have decent boots, gaiters and trekking poles . If anybody has any questions about the trail conditions or in general don't hesitate to ask. remember...always have fun , be safe and a little common courtesy and politeness goes a long way


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire