dimanche 25 mars 2018

Easy Snowshoe Trips in the Southern 'Daks

Hello All,

It was a lovely early Spring weekend to be out and about. I didn't have time for any long outings, so I settled for 2 short but very satisfying trips. On Sat. I took the dogs and went to Broomstick Lake. We had the trail to ourselves. I was surprised there was no one else out, considering the lovely weather and the relatively short and easy trail. The parking lot was plowed out and the trail was well packed. (Photo 1)

I made excellent time getting to the lake. I have only been there once before, and that was in the summertime. I was delighted to see the trail continued on along to the other side of the lake, so I just had to follow it. (Photo 2). I was very taken by a group of three trees standing sentinel along the shore. (Photo 3)

The trail went all the way to the far end of the lake and into the woods. It then followed a small brook to some lovely cliffs. (Photo 4) I never knew these cliffs were there. The pic doesn't do them justice. The trail ended at a log that had fallen across the trail. It was a good place to sit and enjoy the beauty and solitude. All too soon, I had to head back.

On Sunday, I had a great breakfast of hot coffee and biscuits smothered in sausage gravy at the Hope Diner. Then I headed to Pumpkin Hollow Road. I went North from the trail head. Again, I was the only one out. The trail was well used by snowmobiles, but there were many bare patches and exposed boulders. I guess that explains why I didn't see any snowmobiles! Near the beginning, the trail passed by Willis Lake Outlet. (Photo 5) The whole way the woods were open and inviting and the trail well packed. (Photo 6) I only went out to the bridge that crosses Coulombe Creek and then had to turn around. (Photo 7) I wish I had the time (and the fitness level) to go all the way to Pine Orchard from there. Maybe next year.:-)

Altogether it was a fabulous weekend to be out enjoying the beautiful 'Daks.

Kath

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broomstick 1.jpg (136.0 KB)
File Type: jpg Broomstick 2.jpg (125.1 KB)
File Type: jpg Broomstick 3.jpg (139.3 KB)
File Type: jpg Broomstick 4.jpg (127.7 KB)
File Type: jpg Pumpkin Hollow 1.jpg (140.4 KB)
File Type: jpg Pumpkin Hollow 2.jpg (142.3 KB)
File Type: jpg Pumpkin Hollow 3.jpg (133.0 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire