jeudi 23 août 2018

Older Death on Gothics

Good grief, it says that I was last on these forums on August 19, 2010!

In any event, on Tuesday, I'm making a guest appearance in the mountains and hauling my 70 year old carcass up the cable route to Gothics. We had overcome the torrent in Ore Brook Slide (new to me) and now faced the 300 foot vertical slab. One by one, hand over hand, we struggled to haul ourselves and the dogs up by the cables buffeted by the strong wind. But now we had another hundred feet to climb – still some smooth, vertical slab with no cable to grab, no handhold, no foothold. There was no going down. I move left and managed to find a small toe hold, grab a small vein in the stone and haul myself up to where I could grab a small boulder. I reached down and pulled my granddaughter up and threw her down under the stone wondering why we were doing this without being roped together. She says “Someone died here.” “What do you mean?” “Someone died here”, she insists, and pointed to a very small commemorative plaque ankle high on the side of the rock. I can only glance at it. February 2004 or maybe 2006 is all I take. Sorry lad, no time to say a prayer or reflect on your life, as I fear we are in mortal danger ourselves and need to find a way off this face.

Figure I should maybe do that now. Does anyone have information on who this person was and his or her circumstances at about 4,600 feet? Thanks.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire