samedi 27 décembre 2014

Has anyone here hiked the Neusiok Trail in the Croatan National Forest in NC?

I'm going to be in New Berne, NC next week while traveling for the holidays, and I've been looking at doing the Neusiok Trail in the nearby Croatan National Forest while I am in the area. I'm curious to see if others here have hiked this trail before, and if they have any suggestions based on their experiences.



As of right now, we're considering 2 itineraries- doing the trail in 2 days, and camping at the Dogwood Camp Shelter, or doing the trail in 3 days, and camping at the Dogwood Camp and Blackjack Lodge Shelters.



My main concern is with water availability, as fresh water is not readily found along the trail. I know that the 3 shelters along the trail have wells with hand pumps, but I've also read that they can be unreliable. Does anyone who's hiked the trail have any experience with the wells not working? We're considering carrying extra water, and also stashing some water at a road crossing along the trail.



Also, how is the bear situation in the Croatan National Forest? Is it worth bringing a bear canister? Or is doing a bear hang sufficient?



Thanks in advance for anyone who has helpful information. I'm looking forward to doing some backpacking in a new area. :-)




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire