mardi 20 janvier 2015

Bald,RPR,Giant Traverse in Winter

I've heard great things about this traverse, although I have only climbed Giant and RPR from the West along Route 73. As luck would have it, conditions were terrible and the views were limited to rain clouds all the way. Obviously, a return trip is in the works, and I'm thinking of starting from the East, along Route 9 and stashing a pick up vehicle near Roaring Brook Falls. Since I have never walked the ridge between RPR and Bald Peak, and I'm thinking of trying this in the next couple of months, I'm curious to learn just how open the trail really is. If the snow is deep, and the trail unbroken, my thought is to pull a list of bearings from the trail map, read the terrain, and hike from feature to feature in order to get up on the ridge. For those who have done this in winter, how well marked is the trail in deep snow conditions? For several fit hikers with proven navigation skills, is this a feasible day hike or an over-nighter?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire