jeudi 8 janvier 2015

Beginner seeks advice for discipline or combinations of disciplines

Hello, long time reader/lurker first time poster.



I'm 27, normally agile (no disabilities/physical health issues), male lightweight ( 57kg / 125lb).



I am looking at getting into martial arts and not entirely sure where to head.



I am looking for a discipline that has a fairly even mixture of mind vs body, to work on mental discipline as well as physical ability and discipline.



Mentally, I am looking for something with a focus on calmness. I have generalized anxiety disorder which is where the internal dialogue and risk processing section of my psyche are overactive, leading to overestimation of hazards, for instance if I go to eat some food the enjoyment of the experience is quickly 'daydreamed' away into thoughts that I am going to have an allergic attack and stop breathing/die). I have been able to lead a reasonably active life through a year of therapy (acceptance commitment therapy) which relies on mindfulness techniques.



As such I'd like the MA to help me exercise my mindfulness and discipline on focus of thought so I can bring my awareness back to important things and the present moment rather than focusing on those thoughts. I spent some time in a Buddhist temple learning to meditate (sitting, walking, running and chanting meditation).



Physically I'd like to become more agile, more flexible, more 'aware' of my body, I do not see myself needing to use the MA/MA's for self-defense very often if at all so this is more about developing myself for myself. However self-defense is always appreciated as I cannot defend myself at all physically at this stage (I can however weasel my way out of a mentally aggressive scenario fairly reasonably - best self defense is to not get it the fight in the first place, right?).



I would like something that does tend to get my physical stamina up quite a bit as although I am very slim I am reasonably physically unfit, except cardio i can easily run 20km/13miles in 2hrs or less.



I learned a little bit of a modified/subset form of Tai Chi during my sessions at the Buddhist temple and really enjoyed it, however at times the speed did challenge me (it was only done slowly/slow form, no contact, for meditative/relaxation purposes). I have seem some fast, contact/partner based Tai Chi videos online which excited me as an addition to practicing the slow, solo form.



I am wondering whether it would be appropriate/a good choice for me to find a Tai Chi school or teacher that teaches both slow/fast/contact/"self-defense" combined. I live in Brisbane, Australia, which is fairly limited in MA schools/teachers compared to the rest of the world, and I believe most Tai Chi here is exclusively slow, meditative, non contact/non-self defence.



I've also looked into Capoeira which I find rather interesting, especially when it gets into 'real life'/contact forms, however the style is a bit too 'all over the place' and I don't believe it'd be entirely useful for me to use in a matter of self-defense.



So my questions are, if I cannot find a suitable Tai Chi school that provides what I am looking for, should I look at another MA, or a combination of MA's to achieve this balance of slow/fast, technical and self-defending nature?



Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire