jeudi 8 janvier 2015

The "Americanisation" of forms

I plan on competing in forms (kata/patterns) when I resolve the issues I'm having with my hip. I want to compete on the American circuit because they generally have the biggest/most prestigious events.



But something is bugging me.



I've spent a fair amount of time watching videos of the current crop of competitors in the divisions I'll be entering (30+ traditional and creative forms).



And I can't help but cringe/laugh at how they perform their routines.



Hm. "Perform" isn't the right word.



Butcher, maybe?



Destroyed, even?



Take a look at the video below. This guy is the reigning champion in 30+ traditional forms on the NASKA circuit.









His performance is like some camp pantomime villain.



This is what the kata should look like:









The NASKA rules permit competitors to "modify [a form] from what a system or school considers to be the original version of the form."



The rules also state:



"These forms must capture the essence of classic martial arts movements, displaying the traditional techniques, stances, footwork, and weapons. Emphasis is placed on execution of technique, application of technique, balance, speed, power, solid stances, and focus."



None of what Bisbee performed on stage captured any of the essences listed in that paragraph. It's not just him either. They're all doing it! Check out Jeff Doss performing Ul-Ji (a taekwondo form):









Again, how it should be done for comparison:









It seems our cousins across the pond have just focused on the word, well, focus, and taken it to mean "perform like you're angry and constipated."



I spoke to a few competitors on Facebook and they said instructors are now starting to teach the forms this way. Unsurprisingly it causes a lot of friction between the judges (who are usually from different schools), competitors and audience members because the scoring is so different from tournament to tournament.



I have two questions:



1. Do any American TMAists on MAP teach (or get taught) their forms like this?



2. Which form do you prefer - the American version or traditional version? (This is open to everyone.)



If anyone is interested, this is the form I'll be competing with when I'm back to 100% (higher kicks, obviously :p )...









PS. No "I don't like forms anyway coz they suck hur hur" comments thank you.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire