mardi 26 juillet 2016

Gore Mountain via Schaefer Trail

I enjoyed a very pleasant hike up Gore Mountain on July 23. Thanks to Makwa for the excellent trail suggestion. This starts directly above the North Creek town beach, on the access road to the transfer station. The lower part of the trail is very well marked. The only point of potential confusion is mid-way, the trail dumps you out on a ski run with three ways to choose to go. Fairly apparent you need to go uphill, but not marked. After a few minutes on this run, the trail veers off again (marked), staying in the woods until you hit the gravel summit access road. Wonderful weather considering downstate was having a heat wave. Low 70s, low humidity, breezy, good visibility. I saw a few other people down low, after that had the mountain to myself. I agree with Makwa that there is no way the distance is 5.8 miles as marked. I'd believe 4.8. 2:05 up, 1:52 down. Fun day! Only disappointment were the warnings not to climb the tower because of excessive radio signal intensity. But no worries because great views from the ground nearby! Glad I got off before the thunderstorm hit!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire