dimanche 9 octobre 2016

Salmon river.... Need advice.

Living so close to an amazing salmon fishery has really sparked my interest. I went on a guided drift boat this spring for steel head and it was awesome. Even though I didn't land anything.

In fact I only hooked up one time. But I could feel the power.

I'd like to get out there a few times this year for salmon/steelies. As it's only 40 minutes away.

I will be using spinning gear as I'm a terribly fly fisherman.

I am looking for advice regarding gear and possible lures.

From my drift boat experience and reading online. I believe I am looking for the following to get up and running for dead drift and long run float fishing

A long 9-11 ft light action rod. (would medium be okay?)
A decent reel holding 200+yards of 8-10test.

Floating hi viz mono on the spool. With 6-8lb fluor as a leader.

Stick floats and egg sacs or beads.

Now I found an article that describes this method of fishing that our guide had us use. And that's where I am getting my info.

http://ift.tt/2dED2vz's.htm

So that's what I am working with. I would have to acquire a new rod and reel as well as floats and bait

So my question is could I use my 7'7 medium rod and my medium-heavy phleuger reel until I can get a dedicated salmon rig? I am 6'3 with long arms so I could make up the 2ft lacking in the rod. This would allow me to get out this year quite a bit and just require line and tackle investment.

Does anyone have any recommendations in general for a newbie going out to learn it himself solo?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire