jeudi 25 septembre 2014

Introductions: Greetings

Hi there,



Just to introduce myself. I'm currently a student (although I'm a slightly older student that's taking a break from corporate life and that blends in really well because I look young). I've practiced a while in Shorinji Kempo and got as far as being about to grade for 1st kyu before I stopped. I've not done it in a while. I've moved to a new place recently and nearby are an excellent aikido club and an equally excellent judo (and bjj) club. I've tried them both, mainly judo, aikido once, but I'm not sure about joining either and wanted a place to discuss it and martial arts in general. So here I am.



I enjoy trail running, hiking (or tramping as we say here), have dabbled with climbing. I would like to run a marathon in the next year and have at least a half in mind. That's easy. It's just that I want to improve my pace. I like yoga and to think of it now I realise it's been a while since i've done any.. Need to change that. I enjoy practicing yoga with some local Hare Krishnas.



Right now I'm pretty bogged down in academia and miss the exercise that came from it, and the 'game' of it. Although to be honest Shorinji Kempo wasn't as vigorous as I would have liked. Judo and bjj are a great work out, especially for a guy that's 64 kg (vs everyone at the club who is heavier than me). I'd be happy to join a boxing club (not box fit) if that were near too.

Would I return to Shorinji Kempo? I don't know. I've been turned off by that a little. I'd do it just to try and reach shodan but I did want something else. Back when I started it I remember an older Chinese man (with a violent past and some dubious Chinese medicines that may or may not have worked) and friend of my family wondering about a Japanese martial art that purported to have links to the birth place of Chinese martial arts (and Chan/Zen Buddhism), and telling me to either do Muay Thai, or boxing. I think he was promoting the practicality of them. My brother boxed and I regret that I didn't learn too. Would love to try a Filipino martial art but the only school I found is on the other side of town. And finding Filipinos in the Catholic community that know something seem to be hard.



What I really find difficult is to stay in is a rigid structured syllabus where you learn techniques piecemeal. I also don't care for "hokey religions and ancient weapons", or philosophy-lite. I wanted something that I could learn in a way that seemed like play but was vigorous. Judo is a sport, and the local aikido club seems quite fun, but learning aikido is a major investment in time, and the gentleness of it is confusing my coordination. It's early days. The judo sensei seems to have a liquor license which makes post-training fun. I accept that the beginners have to humbly clean and do menial work.



So, here I am. Keen to post things, read up, and exchange opinions etc.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire