vendredi 26 septembre 2014

Rookie with a Compass; Pro in the woods

Hello folks!!

Imagine a guy, over 55, who has not used a Compass until about a year ago! Hard to believe? True!



For all the years I spent in the woods, from the time I was quite young, until now; and all the skills that are part of that (cooking, shelter, hunting, etc). you'd think that a "Compass" would be a no-brainer.



Well the folks who taught me my survival skills, must've decided that I didn't need that I guess, because I don't remember ANY of them EVER putting a Compass in my hands!



I knew they existed of course, and I knew sorta "what they did," and all that; but I had no experience with em.



My whole life has, for the most part, been in New England. The times I was NOT in New England were quite abbreviated. So that should give you some idea of the terrain, climate, conditions, I live with.



I've been in upstate New York many times, (Schroon Lake, Paradox Lake area) and lots of other places throughout this Country. Yet most of the "woods" time was spent in upstate Maine. In fact, I'll be up there again for a week, stomping thru the same woods I was in as a child, where my grandfather and his brothers were, in November.



Last year, for some reason, I was drawn to some YouTube videos about Orienteering. That led me to a variety of related topics. I ended up buying a SUUNTO MC-3, and then a Cammenga Tritian Lensatic 3H. I could spend a great deal of time discussing these two types of navigational tools.



I've never known any folks who are part of Orienteering Clubs. I have a son-in-law who is a Capt. in the Army, and he and I have been out in the woods, practicing our Pace Counting (I made my own Pace Counting beads with 15 and 4 bead setup, not Nine and Four).



So here I am folks. Just a guy who wants to learn to be able to find my way with a Compass, no map, and not all "in a straight line!" (lol). I need to become proficient with Dead Reckoning by shooting an Azimuth, (not a big fan of the "box" method of getting around an obstacle, but am moldable).




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire