samedi 27 septembre 2014

Trying to find a martial art, suggestions?

Hi, I apologize if this question seems disrespectful or silly, but I'd be really appreciative of any replies that might help.



So, I want to start training in a Japanese martial art; I've recently graduated and have both the time and money to commit to it for the forseeable future.



My issue is (I don't know if this is a local thing) but EVERY search I've done online for my city, or in the yellow pages, gives me a ton of MMA and UFC type links. With no disrespect to any practitioners of those, I'm really not looking to join any professional or amateur circuits, be the baddest guy in town, or win a bar fight against 20 other dudes. Frankly I'd be thrilled if I never used my skills outside the dojo, ever.



On the flip side, I'm also hoping to avoid some of the schools making dubious claims that the art is three thousand years old or was taught by some sky dragon or whatever. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I intend to put serious effort into it so I'd prefer to pick well.



I know this is kind of the opposite of what most people are looking for, but are there any really traditional styles or schools out there, that aren't into that stuff? Also, I'm moving to Japan in 2-4 years and would love to be able to continue there.



If it helps, I'm in Toronto Canada. Apologies if I sound like a nutcase.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire