samedi 3 janvier 2015

MMA Advice

Every now and then someone asks me "how do I get into MMA and competing?" Often I give them advice that they don't want to hear and then they never start. The advice is generally "find a good club, train hard, fight". Most people fail at the first hurdle "find a club". So my advice is dont look for an MMA gym with stupidly good credentials, find two cheap martial arts and have at it with a few supplements from YouTube.



I have this advice on another forum, after lots of people were giving excuses like uni, work and other things. All responsibilities that are important and should take priority, but people tell me "I really want to train but there is nowhere near me/I don't have enough money/I can't afford travel"



I was kind of hoping it would be stickies after people add to it.





So here we go:



Boxing is cheap, you're looking about $5 a session at a push, or maybe $35/$50 a month. Get a push bike and go to the nearest club.



Wrestling (if you live in America) is available in most schools in the country from my understanding. Failing that Judo is also extremely cheap and has some good submissions in it. Try and find a club that also teaches the old curriculum too, as there is more newaza involved (groundwork). A judo gi will set you back $30 online (Blitz sport and the like, even Addidas ones aren't that expensive tbh). DO NOT try and buy a BJJ gi, as they're well overpriced.



Mix this in with training at friends houses and hitting pads in your spare time and you're good to go! Boxing and wrestling I like to call "the all American style" ;)



I hate to come off as the "you're not trying hard enough" speech, and that's not what I intend. I just think that if you put in effort in looking then you can train. It's not much, but it's enough to get by until you guys/girls get to a proper MMA gym. (:




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire