samedi 17 janvier 2015

Queer Lake - Pigeon Lake Wilderness - 9/7/14

Since I'm new here I'd like to share a trip report from a forest adventure I had back in September through the Pigeon Lake Wilderness to Queer Lake. I didn't get to the trailhead until about an hour before sunset because of working until 5 PM but night hikes are nothing new to me and I actually enjoy them so off I went into the dark forest...



It was quite warm and drizzling slightly so it was a nice equalizer where I didn't have to feel undesirably sweaty. The call of a barred owl kept me company on my journey. I make it to the Queer Lake lean-to a couple hours later and to my dismay I hear voices coming from within its confines. Naturally, the two guys there thought I was a bear (what they told me after we got to having a brief chat) which is understandable because most people don't roam the forest in the dead of night. I explored around and found a nice place under a conifer canopy on the shores of the lake and set up camp.







The next day the two guys at the lean-to left, and that would be the last of humans I'd see for the rest of the weekend. I brought a packraft which I took out onto the lake in order to explore it's nooks and crevices, to figure out just why it's called Queer Lake as that's a quite...unusual name. Sure enough, it lives up to it's name! There is essentially an isthmus (but technically is a penninsula) that divides the lake into two lakes, with a narrow strait through which you can get into the second part of the lake. I didn't go in there because it looked a bit too shallow for an inflatable raft with all the '95 microburst debris in the lake. A loon or two kept me company as I meandered around the lake for the next several hours.







This is one of my favorite places...and with not a soul around it was a feeling I can't put into words, for they will fail to capture the grandeur of the experience. I highly recommend hiking to Queer Lake and exploring it. It's got that wilderness feel to it and has interesting unusual terrain to traverse.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire