samedi 22 octobre 2016

Haka

So, a Sifu from another location of my school's posted a Haka video as an example of intention and martial spirit a few months ago. I have been fascinated with it ever since.

Haka is a traditional war cry/ challenge/ dance of the Maori people in New Zealand. It is also used to mark other important occasions. I don't know if that has always been the case or that is a modern adaption.

I think it is tied to the martial arts of the Maori, but perhaps Hapuka can tell us more about that? I don't pretend to full understand it yet.

I think the idea of martial intention and spirit- giving your martial practice EVERYTHING you have is expressed fully. Whether doing a form or fighting, this is the sort of intensity that should be in every move one does.

The people who do Haka make me feel like I would not want to mess with them more than some of the well- let's be nice and say less intense practice I see from some practicing.

Seriously, watching Haka gives me chills. It makes me choke up with the raw emotion sometimes.

I am going to share a couple of my favorite videos. I wonder, has anyone else here watched Haka videos? Did you have a similar feeling about them?

On a non martial arts tangent. I feel that this sort of ritual bonding is part of something that many modern day societies are lacking -to the detriment of those in that society. Ritual bonds people and cultures. The more modern we get, the more this sort of bonding seems to get subdued. And I think it is a loss. I think this sort of thing is good for us.

This is one of my favorites. I love the guy with the staff in the background and the fact that the bride is participating. It seems very male dominated in many other videos.

Maybe, if I am right and this is tied to what Hapuka practices, he could talk about gender roles in Haka and if/ how that is changing in a more modern society? Or have women always participated?


This is a New Zealand team that apparently issues a Haka challenge to their opponents before every match?


Another grouping of sports related Haka



This is a traditional dance troupe. I like seeing it in the traditional clothing and I like the words being posted in English to understand.



Am I alone in my fascination with this and my seeing the intensity of it as inspiration for how intense my MA practice should be?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire