samedi 22 octobre 2016

Myofascial release -real or gimmick

I'm constantly hurting myself. Usually some muscle or other feels knotted and tight and painful. All part of training I guess.

Recently I came across the concept of myofascial release. It goes like this. Muscle suffers minor injury. Muscle locks in spasm to protect itself from further injury. Spasm puts such force on specific points that blood flow is impeded and further injury becomes inevitable.

Myofascial release theory goes that by applying huge direct pressure to the knot or point of spasm, you force it to release, and muscles fibres realign.

This is the concept with foam rollers and the old lacrosse ball.

I'm not one to take the first thing I read as gospel. I research such things. It seems the jury is out in the science world. So what do people think? I'm sure everyone here has experienced muscle injury.

I've tried the whole thing. It knacks briefly, then feels good, but is that because good has been done, or because I've simply inflicted enough pain to deplete the chemical that sends the pain signal?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire