vendredi 28 mars 2014

Asthma vs Martial Arts

I post this mainly as inspiration for fellow asthma sufferers who might be thinking about taking up martial arts. This week I had my first asthma check up since starting thai boxing and FMA 6 months ago. I'm training roughly 4 hours per week, so I'm not exactly pro. The nurse and I were blown away by the changes in that 6 month period. Not only am I 22lbs lighter, BMI down from 25.4 to 22.6, but my peak lung flow (basically lung functionality) has gone from 620 (30 below the non-asthmatic average) to 690, the first time in my life I've registered above average lung function and the strongest recording the nurse could ever remember seeing. So score one for anaerobic exercise in beating asthma.



But contact sports are a double edged sword! Immediately following my check-up the GP sent me off to get my hand x-rayed as he suspects I've fractured my thumb in sparring. I'm hoping he's right, because if it's a sprain he wants to give me steroid injections in the thumb joint, which sounds less than fun! That's my fault though for not wrapping my hands properly. The respiratory benefits vastly outweigh any little injury.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire