vendredi 28 mars 2014

Wooden canoe paddle carving

Paddle builders,



I'm not up to building a stripper yet but I thought I'd see how I like making a canoe paddle for starters. I've got a Rapidfire and have been using a double bladed paddle but want to give a single bladed paddle a try. I could always buy one but where is the fun in that! I know I may have to raise the seat for a single bladed paddle but I'm 6'5" with a really long torso so I'd like to give it a try with the low seat first.



I've got Canoe Paddles: A Complete Guide to Making Your Own by Graham Warren. I need to pick up a spokeshave but other than that I should be good to go except for one thing. I don't know what kind of wood to start with. I want to keep this simple, so no lamination. Cherry sounds great, white cedar sounds easy to work with but not very durable, ash sounds like it might be a little harder to work with. I was thinking either a beavertail or ottertail to start. I'm not expecting the first ones to be works of art but I like to be able to use them. How about some bias cut fiberglass around the end of a white cedar or cherry paddle to help it last longer?



I'd love to take the paddle carving class from Caleb Davis but I'm itching to start something now.



Any advise would be greatly appreciated.



Scott




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire