mardi 29 avril 2014

Apologies to Aikidoka

Historically I have been reasonably skeptical that Aikido had much to offer to participants in arts that train with greater resistance (in particular to arts with a sporting component). At training on Tuesday I was thrown by my BJJ coach (not particularly unusual in itself). However, my BJJ coach was previously an Aikido instructor and he threw me with an wristlock (I sort of ended up throwing myself). I think it was some sort of nikyō that he caught me with. Anyway, thought it might make a change for someone from outside of Aikido to attest to the effectiveness of at least some of the techniques, seeing as people generally seem to claim the opposite. I seem to recall him mentioning at some prior point that BJJ had given him the tools to use what he had learned from Aikido, so I guess that supports the notion of Aikido as a supplementary art that best suits people that have knowledge of other grappling arts.



Disclaimer: While I was in my teens I did briefly train in Aikido, and at the time I found the instruction I received to be of no real value.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire