lundi 18 juillet 2016

My new canoe trailer

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the biking forum. I figured that probably more paddlers might someday be looking for a way to carry their boats somewhere with a bike than bicyclists might be interested in dragging a canoe all over Robin Hood's barn, so I put it here. I finally got this trailer put together Saturday and took it for an inaugural trip yesterday up to Lakeview WMA, about 18 miles away. I meant to get it done earlier but I'll still have time for one or two more shakedown trips before heading to Indian Lake in late August. I have also included a picture of my old trailer from last year. The new frame is all 3/16" 6061 aluminum angle and the wheels are 700c, the same as my bike, so I can use the folding tire and spare inner tubes for both. It's heavier than the old one but it rolls more smoothly with the bigger wheels (and better bearings) and goes over bumps better. I kept the front part of the tongue of the old trailer and Seattle Sports was kind enough to sell me a spare hitch swivel for $15 so that I can carry it with me in case the old one should break. The tongue on the new one has 1/8" thick walls which will be stronger than the super-lightweight tongue that that dog broke when it got run over by the trailer. I used two pieces of 3/4" x 2" aluminum bar to connect the tongue to the frame and I found that it is possible to drill a 1" hole through 6061 with a spade bit. I put it in the drill press at 200 RPM and it worked pretty well, much to my surprise.
Zach

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7180016.jpg (74.4 KB)
File Type: jpg P7180014.jpg (64.8 KB)
File Type: jpg P8270213.jpg (78.8 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire