mardi 24 juin 2014

Tongue Range 06.14.2014

In my quest to explore areas of the Adirondacks I haven't been to before I took a free Saturday to check out the Fifth Mountain to Montcalm Point loop around the tongue range in the Lake George Wild Forest. As usual I took a wrong turn but I can unequivocally state that if you're looking for a solid day hike, it's hard to beat this one. This TR is a little delayed, I'll try to remember as best I can.



After stopping at the Hometown Diner (recently reopened, typical diner breakfast, excellent staff and friendly locals, they know how to poach eggs) I got to the Clay Meadow trailhead just before 7:30. Initially the trail was very wet but not impassible, and after the junction with the NW Bay Brook trail started climbing steeply and relentlessly. I found this to be a strenuous hike, maybe others would disagree (stats at the end) but it's easily a rough as many day hikes in the high peaks. To complicate things, upon reaching the junction at the ridge I took a wrong turn and started to descend the trail west to the shore of Lake George. This added a mile and some elevation to the hike but I have to say, it's worth exploring this trail until you get to the beaver pond. It's a gorgeous spot and full of wildlife.



Once I figured out my mistake and climbed back to the junction, I headed south to the junction for the leanto. What an amazing spot to spend a night. Perfect views of the lake and a privy, and disregarding the fire ring on the outcrop (I didn't measure but it's probably not 150' from the leanto) looks like there should be some viable backcountry tent sites. Had a snack here, enjoyed the first of many amazing views, and headed on, worried about lost time.



South from the leanto junction the trail along the ridge is a juggernaut of ups and downs -- I don't think there's a combined fifty feet of flat trail until you level out near Montcalm Point. But, the top of each rise offers an amazing view, one after the other. This hike is worth it just for the singular perspective of Lake George offered from each viewpoint.



I took lunch on rocky French Point, watching the boat activity below with a view of nearly the entire lake. It's a sight to behold. Still worried about time (everything I read pegs this hike at 10 hours, and with my detour I didn't want to end up back at the car after 6) I packed up and continued south, where I met the only really tricky part of the hike. There's a sheer rock crack on the trip down to Montcalm Point, and since it rained heavily the night before it was awfully wet. I actually aborted the climb down once and considered heading back the way I came before giving it another shot and finding some lateral purchase. This wasn't a place I wanted to bang myself up hiking solo. Still, no incidents, and I was on my way back down to the lake.



By the time you get to the Montcalm junction you'll be (if you're like me) worn from the trip so far and wondering if the mile total is worth the trip out and back. It is. If you brought the right clothes it's easy enough to take a dip, otherwise it's worth the view from the shoreline and exploring the herd paths and illegal campsites. The hike back out along the Northwest Bay was uneventful except for one bit of massive blowdown that obliterates the trail, but it's hard to get lost here since the shore is so close. The last mile of the five mile hike out started to feel like a tedious death march but putting one foot in front of the other got me there.



In the end I actually finished the hike in just over nine hours. I only saw three other groups and one solo hiker along the way -- one pair going the same way I did, clockwise, a pair of trail runners and a very friendly solo hiker going counterclockwise, and a pair completely illegally camped on the NW Bay trail who had gotten caught in the downpour the night before. Considering the temperatures were high 70s - low 80s and weather was beautiful, I was surprised not to run into anyone else, but the small lot was full when I left. I've read that some prefer the loop counter clockwise but I liked the fairly level final leg as opposed to steep descent to the parking lot.



With my detour, GPS tells me I went 14 miles even with 4200 feet of elevation gain. What a great hike this is; those of you used to the high peaks should have no problem, and anyone who's looking for something a bit more strenuous with amazing views and few opportunities to get lost will love it. Just give yourself a bit of time. Really looking forward to coming back to spend a night.



A few photos




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire